The first Salvation Army officers commenced work in Broadford in 1891. It was reported in the Broadford Courier & Reedy Creek Times in April of that year that Captain Frances Armstrong and another “lassie” officer had visited Broadford and the first meeting had been held in the Mechanics Hall.
In 1894, the Army set about raising funds to construct a barracks. Mr Arthur Parker had donated the land on the corner of Powlett and Gavan Streets.
The first barracks were built in 1895. Our Picture of the Month shows the hall built in 1912. The Salvation Army still occupies the site today, on the corner of Gavan and Powlett Streets in Broadford.