Broadford’s First Post Office. For some years it was known as “Blossoms Cafe”, but that was later changed to “Cliftons on High” and later still, to "Sugar and Spice".)
The Post Office was first established in Broadford on 1st of July 1852 under the management at Mr. Donald Ferguson. The office was unofficial at the time and was probably operated in conjunction with a small store, at the site where Blossoms Restaurant stands today. Mr. Ferguson’s annual allowance was based on a percentage of postal business transacted, and during the first year of operation this amounted to ₤20.
Broadford was the 19th post office to be opened in Victoria. In 1860 the annual Mail Return for the year showed that a total of 18,845 letters and 15,011 newspapers were handled at the Broadford Post Office that year.